DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS ASSIGNMENT UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE COMPLETED UNIT 1 – Note, you may wish to jump ahead and look at the information on Zitkala-Sa in Unit 2 Lesson 2
Why did the US government pursue a two-pronged policy of physical and cultural genocide toward Native Americans? That is, why was assimilation so important in relation to American Indians at a time when other ethnic minorities were segregated?
This is an analysis that is based on primary source documents. You must use a minimum of three different primary sources in this essay, along with other course materials (the secondary sources). There are quite a few primary sources in the textbook chapter on the West and posted in the Canvas course materials to choose from.
Note 1: Successful responses will consider a broad range of evidence in support of arguments. Take a few moments to consider how you would respond by making a list of various ARGUMENTS for and against Indian policies and strategies/reactions utilized by American Indians and others to push back against these policies. Choose your strongest evidence and write your essay around these points.
Be sure to have a mixture of big/broad ideas and specific/detailed evidence in your argument.
If you are confused about how you should use a primary source (or what a primary source is) go back to Unit 0 and read the information on sources. If you are still confused as to how to use a primary source, contact your coach.
Note 2: We DO NOT want summaries. Summaries will not earn a high grade. ″A papers″ utilize rule of three analysis (including strong rule of three thesis statements in the introduction and each paragraph of the body), specific and detailed historical facts as evidence, analysis instead of summary, consider change over time and historical geography (as necessary in response to the prompt), and properly cite both primary and secondary sources.
Note 3: Required length is 2-3 pages (introduction, 3 paragraphs of the body, conclusion).
Note 4: Do not directly quote chunks of a primary document. It is okay to use a short phrase or a sentence (in “” and properly footnote cited), but you immediately need to analyze why the quote is important. A primary source quote should NEVER be used in substitution for your own analysis. Do not quote secondary sources.
• Must be in Rule of Three format with an introduction and strong thesis statement, 3 paragraphs of the body (each with their own thesis statement – one for each of the three key points of your overall thesis), and conclusion. So, a minimum of 5 paragraphs. (2-3 pages)
• This is a fact-based essay; you must provide specific and detailed evidence for your hypotheses.
• You must utilize a minimum of three primary sources from the assigned materials (primary sources posted in the course module OR found under the primary source section of each chapter in American Yawp only; you may not utilize sources linked to in the reference section of American Yawp as evidence in your essay
• You must utilize a minimum of three secondary sources from the assigned materials as evidence in your essay
• You may only use materials assigned in this course for your essay (we have vetted all the materials utilized in this course, other materials may not be appropriate or accurate). If you use outside sources your grade will be docked.
• DO NOT QUOTE secondary sources, paraphrase in your own words and cite; do not make long block quotes of primary sources – this is not analysis.
• You effectively weave in evidence from your primary source documents in this essay as part of your arguments
• Don′t forget about historical geography, where something takes place matters and it may (or may not) be important to your argument.
• You must use Turabian citation style in this essay; all citations must be footnote style citations (no parenthetical cites allowed, no endnotes/works cited at the end, you need footnotes). Be sure to review how to properly cite a primary source that may be contained in another work and be sure to use page numbers where possible.
• You must provide a proper citation for your primary sources. If they are from Yawp it would be: name of author of document, title of document, date of document in American Yawp (then citation for Yawp)
• 12 pt type, 1-inch margins, double-spaced
REMINDER: Turabian/Chicago footnote citations are required for this essay. You will lose points if you use parenthetical cites or other citation styles. You must provide a specific page number or other location (chapter, section, etc.) where possible in your footnotes.
How the Assignment is Graded
The following factors are considered when we grade:
RULE OF THREE THESES – Do you have a well thought out and clear overall thesis in your introduction? Do you have a thesis statement for each of your three paragraphs of the body? Do the paragraphs of the body follow the overall thesis statement?
EVIDENCE – You must have solid evidence for each point you raise in the thesis. Evidence is not simply a statement, there must be an explanation of how that evidence supports the thesis statement.
Example: If you were writing a paragraph on the causes of the Cold War, you might use the Baruch Plan as an example. Simply writing ″the Baruch Plan was a cause of the Cold War″ in your paragraph would not be enough and would not be analytical. However, the following sentences do provide a good analysis of this piece of evidence:
″One cause of the Cold War was the failure of the United States and the Soviet Union to agree upon a plan for nuclear disarmament after World War II. The Baruch Plan, presented by the US, would maintain the American atomic weapon advantage for the foreseeable future. This played into Stalin′s suspicions of the Americans′ true motivations toward the USSR.″
Did you use the required minimum number of primary sources? secondary sources?
HISTORICAL ACCURACY, CLARITY, AND LOGIC
Did you analyze (not summarize)? Is your argument clear and does it make sense? Is it historically accurate? Does your evidence prove your point? Does your analysis answer the prompt? Have you considered the concepts of ethics and civics, change over time, and any historical geography factors in your essay?
Have you properly cited? Have you used Turabian/Chicago? You must also FOOTNOTE. Parenthetical cites are NOT allowed.
GRAMMAR, SPELLING AND MECHANICS
Is the essay up to college standards for grammar and spelling? Is it an analytical essay? Does it meet minimum length and formatting requirements?
REVIEW YOUR HISTORICAL SKILLS FROM UNIT 0 BEFORE COMPLETING THIS ESSAY
The order was placed through a short procedure (customer skipped some order details).
Please clarify some paper details before starting to work on the order.
Type of paper and subject
Number of sources and formatting style
Type of service (writing, rewriting, etc)